This is taken from the Analytics Discussions from the DAA: DIGITAL ANALYTICS ASSOCIATION Open Forum. I thought the resources he posted were amazing and worth sharing.
Q: I am looking for a source such as a blog, forum, or a course to learn more about presenting data with story telling techniques. I appreciate any help.
1) Edward Tufte books http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_be
Edward Tufte has been cited by many as the “dean of data visualization” – his books are a great resource (a simple bit of advice he gives – read the sports pages to see how to tell a story quickly + concisely with data)
2) Michael Babwasingh’s data visualization blog http://michaelbabwahsingh.com/category/general/
3) The Tableau (software vendor) blog has some periodic posts about data story telling: http://www.tableausoftware.com/about/blog
- as well as good on-demand webinars such as this one: http://www.tableausoftware.com/learn/webinars/visual-storytelling-age-data
- and Robert Kosara’s website \ blog (a lot of good publications + a few downloadables here): http://kosara.net/publications.html
- and on Twitter, Tapestry Conference (Tableau organized conference around data story telling) has periodic tweets in this area: http://www.ted.com/watch/topics/storytelling
4) Stephen Few’s blog is good http://www.perceptualedge.com/blog/ (his book “Information Dashboard Design” is a good resource for, well, dashboards)
5) The Harvard Business Review blog, over the past 6 months or so, has had a lot of good story telling and data visualization posts, notably from Nancy Duarte: http://blogs.hbr.org/nancy-duarte/ (there are other people blogging here as well)
6) For Presentations – the Prezi blog is fun (Prezi is a relatively new, more fluid alternative to PowerPoint): http://blog.prezi.com/
- for books about PowerPoint, I usually recommend “Beyond Bullet Points” http://beyondbulletpoints.com/ as well as “Presentation Zen” http://www.presentationzen.com/ (I prefer Beyond Bullet Points personally)
7) For some great video examples (to watch and learn how to present your stories, live):
TED talks are always great: http://www.ted.com/watch/topics/storytelling look for talks by Hans Rosling, David McCandless, and others on story telling in general
There are also a host of great digital analytics videos at Online-Behavior http://online-behavior.com/videos +https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3G5EIgvI5egmJGpHv4xw0w
and YouTube has a lot more (just search for “data storytelling” or “web analytics storytelling” or “analytics storytelling” or “eMetrics”)
I hope all this helps – cheers!
Director, Digital Analytics
TPG Direct \ Omnicom
This was also the subject of my recent SXSW presentation: “Scientist to Storyteller: How to Narrate Data”, which also used Prezi! Hope there’s some resources there that can help you.
Director, Product & Marketing
I recently did a session on this topic at the Adobe Summit back in March with Dieter Davis of Nike. The session was recorded and you can watch it at this Adobe TV link: Data Storytelling: Turning Insights into Action
Adobe Systems (Corporate Account)